Tuesday 27 July 2010

My Favourite Song

I discovered this on the lovely Life of a Shopping Addict blog - a 30-day challenge for bloggers - and just had to give it a go! I will definitely not be able to keep this up day-to-day - I don't know if I mentioned, but I've kinda got plans on 7/8 ;) - but I plan to follow the programme over the next three months.

As Emma-the-shopping-addict rightly points out, it's pretty darn impossible to identify just one song that's your favourite! I tried the diplomatic approach and started with the most played and five-star rated on iTunes, and that gave me...


Wow. Really? I mean, I love that song so much, but I was amazed to learn that I listen to it more than any other! The entire soundtrack is fantastic, and this song has such a stomping beat that is perfect for running. There's definitely a satisfaction in being all serious-faced, clad in Dri-Fit and Polar, but listening to Disney soundtracks - and nobody knows what you're listening to!

It brings back wonderful memories of baby brother stomping around the house, mistakenly singing "Sandwiches" instead of "Savages". He's 17 now - I'm sure he appreciates my memories.

Somehow, though, that's not quite it. But I've got to commit to something. There are multiple issues that come with picking a favourite.

One is the memories attached. I will always retain a fondness of anything from Summer 1999 because of the sheer awesomeness of driving around in your best friend's car, getting your first weekend job, having your first boyfriend... Wait. Is it weird that I can still love a song that's so attached to such a moment in time? Or wrong, somehow? We're both blissfully engaged to other people, and are certainly not hankering after a romantic reunion, but the music-induced nostalgia always feels like something that ought to be put in a box in the attic.

Memories can often make us forget the meaning of a song and lead you to cause something that's angry or sad when you just don't feel that way. The Summer I spent in West Islip, NY with my cousins is brought back in a flash with Alanis Morissette's You Oughta Know. It was new to the US charts at the time, and my 13-year-old self was in teen-movie heaven as we attended pool parties where they showed old horror movies, drank beer and smoked cigarettes - just like on TV! Clueless was at the cinema; Hugh Grant was in a lot of trouble; and I didn't care that the song was so angry and sad - life was just cool.

Ever find a song that just feels like it's your song? Not the romantic kind - the just you kind. For me, Fiona Apple's Fast as You Can hit the nail on the head before I even heard it. I don't even remember how, but I saw the lyrics written down somewhere and it has always felt so fitting. I haven't got together the guts to tell *him* that - nor have I sought out the rest of her catalogue. I'm not sure why, really. The first part probably because he's almost completely succeeded at bringing me out of that mindset. The second part maybe because I don't want to be disappointed and find that it's all pretend and she uses singing about issues as a marketing technique.

One song that just feels like it's been there all the way along is probably the one that's my favourite - Rainy Night in Soho by The Pogues.


It has such a heart-warming, you-n-me-together-after-everything kind of feel to it. It's not sweet and romantic, but reminds me of that old sonnet where the poet says that his love really isn't that beautiful, but he loves her all the same. I am a big fan of their music in general, especially the ensemble nature of all the random instruments playing. They bring it out whenever they play live, and it's just as awesome (and I generally can't stand live music). It comes on the iPhone at the most random and perfect of moments, and I never seem to skip it. My Dad plays it whenever he's a bit drunk and then texts me to tell me he's done so, and I do the same back. It just makes me feel like listening to it, and that's all you can really ask of a favourite song!

So... Pic for the sake of it time. Wanna see my dress? Here it is...

Hahaha. I'm such a tease. But there it is - ready to go to the dry cleaners, because there are only ELEVEN days to go!

What's your favourite song and why? Are you about music, lyrics, or the whole package? Have you seen Music and Lyrics? Do you like live music?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite song is She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5. It reminds me of my husband and I can't hear it without smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I have a favourite song: I have lots that I love because they remind me of specific times or places (Brand New Heavies 'Midnight at the Oasis' will always be wet, windy Wales!) but not one that I would chose over all others. I'd be useless on Desert Island Discs!

    ReplyDelete